Compatibility

Learn about how the Caterpillar automates and safeguards dome rotation and roof operations in professional and custom-built observatories.
Note
Please remember that even though we try our best to stay on top of forum threads, this is not always possible. For faults or urgent matters, reach us at support@lunaticoastro.com. Thanks!
Mossyback
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Compatibility

Post: # 3219Post Mossyback

I use N.I.N.A. for my remote observatory control. My ROR using a gate opening motor was controlled by an Arduino computer which died. It appears that Caterpillar would be a good replacement option. Is this correct? Also, reading the specs on this device, which accessories would I need to buy to make it functional? This brings up a third question, living in Canada can I buy direct from you?

Hank
User avatar
Jaime
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 pm

Re: Compatibility

Post: # 3228Post Jaime

Hey Hank,

I would say the answer to almost everything is yes.

You can order direct from us or from our USA dealer, as you prefer.
You can definitely interact with N.I.N.A.

If you share your current motor type, driver if you have one (or VFD, or...) etc I will be better able to reply to your question about accesories - it is quite likely that you don't need to purchase anything you don't already have. Otherwise, motor driver, limit switches, that would be about it.

Best regards,

jaime
Mossyback
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Compatibility

Post: # 3253Post Mossyback

Hi Jaime,

This the gate motor that is installed on my ROR observatory. It was set up using an arduino computer following instructions from the AstroBloke website in the UK. I can open and close it with the motor FOB. The Arduino needed separate magnets to control the opening and closing positions as it couldn’t use the installed motor magnets. Can the Caterpillar use those motor magnets or will I need to order the Caterpillar ones?

Hank

Automatic Sliding Gate Opener Kit Rack Driven Sliding Gate Motor with Remote Controls and Infrared Sensor Electric Gate Operator Complete Kit for Slide Gates Up to 1800 Pounds
Brand: YILIKISS
Mossyback
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Compatibility

Post: # 3256Post Mossyback

Jaime, yes or no for the Caterpillar roof limiters?
User avatar
Jaime
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 pm

Re: Compatibility

Post: # 3257Post Jaime

Hey Hank,

Apologies, I did not get (or missed) the notifications for this thread.

You definitely could use the existing limit switches, but that would imply removing them from the gate motor - it is not a good idea to try to share them. The AstroBloke approach is solid - it gives you redundancy; I would suggest replacing the magnetic sensors with mechanical ones, but if the magnetic ones are good quality they are perfectly valid.

Please feel free to contact support@lunaticoastro.com if our replies here in the forum are too slow.

Best regards,

jaime
Post Reply